...Oh no, my friends, I am talking about... MY MOTHER!! Before I discovered hair salons, relaxer kits, maximum strength gel and self-taught braiding, my Mum did my hair at home for me. Only problem was... she DIDN'T know how to do hair... and she didn't LIKE to do hair. From bending awkwardly over the side of the bath whilst my Mum used an old cup to pour water over my hair to rinse out the shampoo, to the battle of blowdrying and cornrowing my hair. If that wasn't bad enough my Mum didn't actually know how to braid... so it was 'doo-doo' plaits all the way *siiiigh*. Needless to say my hair was a peculiar sight to behold in my Roman Catholic, predominantly white primary school days *holds head in hands*.
One more thing, my parents originate from Ghana, West Africa and some of the native tongue - Twi - is written in this poem. But you won't need to understand it to get the gist of what I am saying! (Fellow Ghanaians please excuse any spelling errors ;)) Please leave comments. Enjoy!
"HEH! CAROL! Me dee BRA FOM, BRA FOM!"
I freeze in horror and gulp
"Yes Mum?"
She pauses for what seems like an age.
Then suddenly my heart threatens
to escape my ribcage
As her voice promptly
increases an octave in rage
as she firmly says;
"ME SI, BRA FOM!"
And I'm thinking "ah come on!"
I wearily drag my feet
from my bedroom to the landing,
Looking sheepishly towards
the bottom of the stairs
To be met by a face devoid
of all understanding
of what could be wrong...
"GO AND RUN THE WATER,
I NEED TO WASH AND CORNROW YOUR HAIR"
Translation - this is what I hear:
"CHILD PREPARE,
'COS I'M YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!"
DESPAIR! I shudder.
Wishing that a magic button
labelled 'Disappear Here' would appear
at the top of the staircase
But alas, make no mistake;
It is time to wash and cornrow my hair
The bathroom alights
with a tug of the light cord.
I close my eyes, a deep sigh
Open one eye, then the other
Oh lawd
Deep breath, chin up!
I stride towards the bath,
I fill the bucket up
and muster a feeble and nervous laugh.
But she's on the warpath...
I hear the unmistakable, threatening,
heavy footsteps approaching,
It's Mother... my arch-nemesis
Come to inflict pain like no other.
Me Struggle?? Why bother...?
I feel a gush of water
as I'm bent forwards,
Some trickles down my back,
the shampoo blurs my focus.
No matter how much she lathers
She still scrubs my scalp harder
WHY?? Can't even feel my scalp after!
My sister saunters past the bathroom door
Many times, breaking into fits of laughter
NOW I'm angry
But don't worry
Cos after me,
YOU'RE NEXT 'Sweet Sister'(!)
First chapter over
I face my next adversary. Yes, ANOTHER!
That BLASTED AFRO PIK HAIRDRYER...
The heat forever creeping higher,
The broken teeth of the afro pik
scraping my already tender scalp
I try to bite my lip "OUCH!"
Oops! It slipped out - I flinched
So now the consequence,
The hairbrush descends
with an almighty DOOOSH.. "ARRRRGH!!"
"TENA FAAKO, SIT STILL, SIT STILL"
But the pain is immense!
Oh Lord, why must you punish me??
Whatever did I do
to be given hair so NAPPY?
I'm sorry, forgive me!
Just give me hair that is SILKY
Where both the wind and my fingers
Can roam freely
Ohh to be happy...!
I guess I'm stuck being NAPPY.

Great poem! I could really imagine how you felt lol! Love the blog, look forward to reading more posts!
ReplyDeleteThis I like and it is no criticism when I say it's like all good things, simple but effective. I like straightforward poetry that keeps me engaged throughout. I understand the nappy hair thing too, my wife is Jamaican and I have witnessed the 'journey'. Keep writing please.
ReplyDelete