Frantically searching for a tail comb or hair pin to pierce the outer layer of the artificial hair, then manoeuvring my way through the required track and cornrow....
Digging harder and harder and further in frustration, searching pitifully for my scalp.
DAAAHHHH! FINALLY!
Scratching manically like my head harbours fleas.... all because of this WEAVE!
The itchy episodes I encounter will NOT be soothed by the infamous 'Black-Girl-Patting-Her-Weave' Technique!
I mean, don't get me wrong, I have worn weave-ons before, but its funny how you forget how irritating and frustrating the experience is... until you make the conscious decision to put yourself through it again!
So you must be wondering: "WHY inflict this upon yourself then?".
Well. I decided to take a last minute short holiday to Madrid where the climate was predicted to range between 34 - 40 degrees. Now.. My natural hair can be quite unpredictable during the beautiful British Summer, so I had absolutely no concept of how it would hold up in such high temperatures! Plus, I didn't want the added hassle of having to wash, style and hydrate my hair so frequently... I wanted to focus on enjoying a relaxing getaway.
I could have put my hair in twisted or braided extensions, but those are my staple protective styles and I wanted to try something different. In addition to that I often get told that when I wear my hair in braids or twists, I look even younger than I already do *SIGH*
On a trip to New York in the summer of 2009, I went to the salon and let a hairdresser put my hair in a 'wet n wavy' weave. This basically means that the hair is straight when first purchased, but can become wavy/curly when wet. It looked great! Not too obvious and very natural looking.
So naturally, this was my hairstyle of choice for my Spanish holiday.
Now... I refer to myself as 'Nappy Nubian Poet' as I feel this brings together the different elements of me... so imagine some people's disgust at my decision! One man even told me that it would be a huge turn-off for him if I decided to get a weave on, and another said that he would refer to me as 'Weavely Nubian Poet' (I know you're reading this!)
Although the last remark was said in jest, I know that many (Black) men do not accept the concept of women wearing hair that is not their own.
Funny how hair or a hairstyle can change people's perceptions of you. Hmmm...
Anyhoo.... at first I was pleased with the result the second time around, even though it looked a little.. well... 'Jheri Curly' / Michael Jacksony... especially with this jacket *cough*
And now. Now it looks and feels like a 'Soul Glo' model gone wrong... minus the curl juice.
So, just dry then *additional cough*
NOT impressed...
I am REALLY trying to keep this monstrosity in for as long as possible as it is actually protecting my hair from the elements. But.... I am *THIS CLOSE* to releasing my scalp from its torture chamber.
Hold on, wait, WAIT... NO! Itchy weave strikes again. Gotta go!
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!







Lol Carol this post cracked me up!!! It reminds me of when I had my last weave, I was using all sorts to scratch my scalp, pencils, cooking utensils you name it. It looks great on you though x
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHAAHAA! Cooking utensils!??!! Thats new... might have to try that as nothing seems to make it better :(
ReplyDeleteYou think it looks good? I might straighten it to see how it looks.. or would that make me a COMPLETE sell out???!