Detox....
Difficult to swallow and bitter to the taste.
But in order to be effective must be followed through to the end.
So before I talk myself out of it, let me hold my nose and quickly gulp the roughage.
Been fooling myself.
Deluding myself.
Selective consumption of what initially appeared to be an overwhelming feast.
Hungrily grabbing at the succulent pieces that I believe are sufficient enough to fill the space within,
whilst turning a blind eye to the elements that are underdone, red raw, seeping with bitterness and emitting a stench so foul and sickening.
Choosing to overlook the bulk that is overdone, where the juices have run dry and leave behind the sour crust of what once was.
I have succumbed to the minority of elements here
that are pleasing to the eye, soothing to the ear.
But on further inspection, even these cannot escape the thick and stifling undertones that serve as a foul marinade comparable only to bile.
A foul marinade that overwhelms the superficial and deceiving juicy cuts that I hoped would nourish me
but eventually, inevitably rob the experience of any sweetness
Leaving in my mouth only a bitter taste.
Now to reluctantly but dutifully scrape the remainder off my plate,
discard the filth that I would only regurgitate.
Cleanse my system and re-initiate with a clean slate.
But. What. A. Waste.
Everyone has a void that needs to be filled and much harm can result from wrong filling.. But the right filling will come in realizing that God loves us and His son Jesus the Christ died for our sins so we would not have to pay the price. Life is so short and eternity is forever. Check out book of John in the Bible to find everlasting life and to be filled with the Spirit of God Himself.
ReplyDeleteImpressive, well worded.
ReplyDeleteLove this - I don't usually like poetry edging towards prose but soon into this I found it sumptuous - I love the existential style - the drying out of life and I love the flow of rhyme here - it has a loose and engaging rhythm. Also I found myself reading it aloud to hear the musical effect. Its also serious and existentially meaningful - it has substance and humanity.
ReplyDeleteWell - it needed saying!
Aaron
@One who has changed - thank you for the words of encouragement
ReplyDelete@Broadband - glad you like it
@asphara - Wow! What a breakdown. I'm flattered!
I'm glad you all appreciated this piece.
Thank you =]