Pages

Monday, 16 January 2012

You were right.

You were right about him.

Now, I'm not sure if it was intuition or your biased perception that planted the seed in your fertile mind. I'm inclined to believe the latter. But back then... It didn't matter.

At the mere mention of him the weeds of doubt sprouted, concealing his face but revealing the root of him. Out of my eye line but glaringly obvious to you.

But what do you propose I do now?

It seems a child only learns NOT to put its fingers in the mouth of the snake AFTER they've been bitten.

"JUST DON'T" fails to provide a sufficient enough response to deter the child's curiosity. So head cocked to the side, heart racing and nervously giggling, the child cautiously paces towards the snake until it is face to face with the challenge.

Realisation dawns on the child just as the snake draws venom to its mouth. Before the child can decide whether to fight or take flight, the snake pounces and administers its lethal bite to the jugular.

Once bitten, forever smitten.

I inevitably found the poorly hidden antidote... but was only courageous enough to drip two drops onto the tip of my tongue.

Nowhere near enough to numb me. Or bring me back to where I was meant to be... But enough to hush my intuition and satiate my common sense.

Coward.

You were right about him.

But you were wrong about me.

1 comment: