Pages

Tuesday, 1 June 2010

"WE WANT MORE... WE WON'T SETTLE"

I awoke one morning, my mind racing with thoughts and emotions that were all a result of rapper Mikel Ameen's performance at his album launch at 'Get Familyar' the previous night... Friday 14th May 2010.

It was quite literally a roller coaster of emotions! From his comedic lament of Black women's insistence on wearing weave-ons and relaxing their hair, to the sombre topic of abortion. All in all, the audience was captivated and swept up by the charismatic, energetic, raw talent that is Mikel. One of my favourite moments, was when Mikel performed a song dedicated to his girlfriend! His dedication to this lucky lady, showed an emotional maturity that many men far older than him would shy away from. Mikel gets an additional point for that one!

There was one song that undeniably touched every, single person in the room. A song entitled 'We Want More'. As the drums signalled the intro, Mikel paced up and down, and closed his eyes as he asked us to join him in saying:
"We want more, we want more, we want more, we want more... We won't settle, we won't settle, we won't settle, we won't settle" 
I was already on the edge of my seat, as his body language clearly indicated how important this was to him. With lyrics such as "Always been told to make do, elders only taught us how to scrape through" and "I don't depend on, I just don the pen, I write for my life, wear my heart like a pendant around my neck" we got the message that this was more than a song... it seemed that for Mikel... this was possibly a milestone.

This song was a well needed wake up call for us to be more aware about the circumstances in life that may stifle us, and how we should have the courage to search for more, ask for more, demand more.
For me, the most passionate part of We Want More was the verse dedicated to his family, including his brother Aml (star of Kidulthood, The Bill and now Hollywood actor). Mikel used this song to liken each member of his family to a part of him:
"my brother is my brain, my sister is my heart, my mother is my soul, my Father is the ... Lord have mercy on me, Ameen"..
As Mikel made his dedication, his voice cracked... but that only made him become more passionate in his delivery. Unable to hold back, tears began to appear in Mikel's eyes, triggering the same reaction amongst many of us spectators.

... I had met Mikel a few weeks prior to this performance, at another event where he was promoting his poetry/spoken word/debating/music event 'Get Familyar', hosted by James Massiah (poet/spoken word artist). Coincidentally I was already due to attend this event to acquaint myself with other performers on the circuit. I didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear so many young people discuss topics surrounding politics and the importance of voting, particularly within certain communities.

I bumped into Mikel at yet another event where he was still fiercely promoting his album launch. We indulged in sincere conversation about craft and creativity, culture, and even black women's hair (check out 'ReGrowth' on the mix tape!) amongst other things. I was astounded when he told me his age and what he had already achieved and what he was still hoping to achieve. I discovered that Mikel speaks with such passion and conviction, that its hard to not get swept up in his energy.

I don't claim to know Mikel or his struggle... But I sure as hell saw his passion manifest at his album launch. Mikel stated that he loves music with such passion and that its the only thing that he has stuck with in his life. That night he declared that his love for music and his community, means that he will always support others on their journey.

Mikel, you didn't have to tell us, you're passion was clear for all to see. I personally, will fully support his movement. I urge everyone else to do the same UK... STAND UP!

1 comment: